Sunday, April 18, 2010

Reflection on Plagerism Detection Tools

The lesson for this week was using a program called "Turnitin" as a check for plagiarism on papers turned in to teachers. We first copied and pasted items from web sites to answer the questions provided and then uploaded the paper to the Turnitin website. My submission scored 99% Similarity Index. This meant that 99% of my paper was similar to sources found on the internet. I next answered the questions in my own words and uploaded the new paper to the Turnitin website. The new submission scored 25% Similarity Index. This was primarily due to the questions having been previously posted. The content of my answers had very little identified as similar. Teachers using this tool will be able to determine if students are tuning in their own work or if the student took shortcuts and used someone else’s work and how much of the work was not original.




View my artifacts: Copy and Paste submission. Report on Copy and Paste. Original submission. Report on Original submission.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great web site for teachers to use. This cuts down on the plagerizing of students acrossed the board. Students develop a sense of self confidence and pride when they submit their orginal work.

    ReplyDelete